Daniel D. Myers, DVM, MPH
Associate Professor, Vascular Surgery / ULAM
Director, Jobst Vascular Research Laboratories
Venous thrombosis (VT) and its sequelae, pulmonary embolism (PE) are significant national healthcare concerns. Thrombus and vessel wall damage promotes the up-regulation of adhesion molecules, tissue factor (TF), and inflammatory mediators in vivo. Utilizing animal models, my laboratory and others have defined the contribution that adhesion molecules, TF, and cytokines play during thrombosis. Recent research suggests that hypoxic and chemical injury to vascular endothelium contributes to the pathogenesis of several cardiovascular diseases. My research evaluates the effects venous endothelium dysfunction post oxidative injury. Our goal is to define the role of oxidative injury in the pathogenesis of venous thrombosis.
Chapters in Books
- Myers, Jr. DD, Wrobleski SK, Henke PK, Wakefield TW. Coagulation Biology. In: Souba W, Wilmore D (Eds): Surgical Research (Academic Press, San Diego, CA,): Surgical Research, Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 2001.
- Myers, Jr. DD, Wakefield, TW. Inflammation-Dependent Thrombosis. In: Tabibzadeh S: Frontiers in Bioscience, Searingtown, New York, (www.bioscience.org/editoff.htm), 2005.
- Linn, MJ, Duran-Struuck, R, Trivedi, AK, Zajic, LB, Wrobleski, SK, Hawley, AH, Myers, Jr., DD. The Biology and Medicine of Nonhuman Primates: Part I and Part II. In: Laboratory Animal Medicine and Management, J.D. Reuter and M.A. Suckow, Eds. International Veterinary Information Service, Ithaca New York, (www.ivis.org), July 2006; B2501.0103.
- Hannawa KK, Cho BS, Sinha I, Roelofs KJ, Myers DD, Wakefield TW, Stanley JC, Henke PK, Upchurch GR. Attenuation of experimental aortic aneurysm formation in P-selectin knockout mice. New York Academy of Sciences, 1085:353-359, 2006.
- Myers DD, Dysko RC, Chrisp CE, Decoster JL. Subcutaneous Masses in a Rhesus Macaque (Macaca mulatta). Journal of Medical Primatology, volume 30, pg. 127-130, 2001.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Wrobleski SK, Londy FJ, Fex BA, Farris DM, Hawley AH, Chapman AM Peterson, DA Williams DM, Schaub RG, Greenfield LJ, Wakefield TW. New and Effective Treatment of Experimentally Induced Venous Thrombosis with Anti-inflammatory rPSGL-Ig Thrombosis and Haemostasis, volume 87, pg. 374-382, 2002.
- Myers, Jr. DD, Linn MJ; Hawley AE, Mell AG, Hughes RE, Chapman AM, Knipp BS, Philbrick BG, Wrobleski SK, Wakefield TW, Schaub RG. P-selectin Receptor Antagonist rPSGL-Ig has No Adverse Effects on Wound Healing by Primary Closure. Wounds: A Compendium of Clinical Research and Practice, volume 14 (7), pg. 244-251, 2002.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Henke PK, Wrobleski SK, Hawley AE, Farris DM, Chapman AM, Knipp BS, Thanaporn P, Schaub RG, Greenfield LJ, Wakefield TW. P-selectin Inhibition Enhances Thrombus Resolution and Decreases Vein Wall Fibrosis in a Rat Model. Journal of Vascular Surgery, volume 36, pg. 928-938, 2002.
- Myers, DD, Farris, DM, Hawley, AE, Wrobleski, SK, Chapman AM, Stoolman, LM, Knibbs, RN, Strieter, RM, Wakefield, TW. Selectins and Interleukin-10 Influence Acute Thrombus Formation in a Mouse Model of Venous Thrombosis. Journal of Surgical Research, volume 108, pg. 212-221, 2002.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Hawley AE, Farris DM, Chapman AM, Wrobleski SK, Henke PK, Wakefield TW. Cellular Interleukin-10 (Il-10) is more Effective than Viral IL-10 in Decreasing Venous Thrombosis. Journal of Surgical Research, volume 112(2), pg. 168-174, 2003.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Hawley, AE, Farris, DM, Wrobleski SW, Thanaporn P, Schaub RG, Wagner DD, Kumar A, Wakefield TW. P-selectin and Leukocyte Microparticles Potentiate Venous Thrombogenesis. Journal of Vascular Surgery Journal of Vascular Surgery, volume 38, pg. 1075-1089, 2003.
- Meier T, Myers DD. Contrast Venography: A useful vein imaging methodology for nonhuman primates. Laboratory Animal Practitioner volume 37(4):18-20, 2004.
- VanLangevelde LA, Anchill SE, Wrobleski SK, Linn MJ, Wakefield TW, Myers, Jr., DD. Gender Differences of Deep Venous Thrombosis in a Rat Model: A preliminary study. Comparative Medicine, volume 55(1):44-49, 2004.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Rectenwald JF, Bedard PW, Kaila N, Shaw GD, Schaub RG, Farris DM, Hawley AE, Wrobleski SK, Henke PK, Wakefield TW. Decreased venous thrombosis with an oral inhibitor of P-selectin. J Vasc Surg, volume 42:329-336, 2005.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Henke PK, Bedard PW, Wrobleski SK, Kaila N, Shaw G, Meier TR, Hawley AE, Schaub RG, Wakefield TW. Treatment with an oral small molecule inhibitor of P selectin (PSI-697) decreases vein wall injury in a rat stenosis model of venous thrombosis, Journal of Vascular Surgery, volume 44:625-632, 2006.
- Myers, Jr., DD, Wrobleski SK, Longo C, Bedard PW, Kaila N, Shaw GD, Londy FJ, Rohrer SE , Fex BA, Zajkoski PJ, Meier TR, Hawley AE, Farris DM, Ballard NE, Henke PK, Schaub RG, Wakefield TW. Resolution of venous thrombosis using a novel oral small molecule inhibitor of P-selectin (PSI-697) without anticoagulation. Thrombosis and Haemostasis volume 97: 400-407, 2007.
- Meier TR, Myers DD, Eaton KA, Ko MC, Hankenson FC. Gangrenous Clostridium perfringens Infection and Subsequent Wound Management in a Rhesus Macaque. The Journal of the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science, volume 46(3): 69-73, 2007.
- Aglyamov SR, Skovoroda AR, Xie H, Kim K, Rubin JM, O'Donnell, Wakefield, TW, Myers DD, Emelianov SY. Model-based reconstructive elasticity imaging using ultrasound. International Journal of Biomedical Imaging volume (2007), Article ID 35830, 11 pages, 2007.
University of California, Davis, CA; B.S.
Tuskegee University, School of Veterinary Medicine, Tuskegee, AL; D.V.M.
University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI; M.P.H.