JP Drain and Insertion Site Care Post-Op Instructions
Please view the JP Drain Post-Operative Care video below for more information on the post-operative care of your JP Drain.
JP Drain Post-Operative Care (Video)
View Printable Instructions (PDF)
- Wash your hands.
- Strip tubing three times a day (more often if there are a lot of blood clots).
- Grasp tubing close to body with one hand and pull toward body. With other hand grasp tubing below the first hand. Using an alcohol swab, pinch tubing tightly, sliding fingers down tubing, away from body.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times. Be sure drainage is flowing into bulbs.
- Measure the drainage in the bulb by either using the calibrations on the bulb or by emptying the Bulb into small measuring container 3 times a day (more often if there is a lot of drainage or they feel heavy) Open small lid on top of bulb. Pour drainage into container. Squeeze bulb and hold while replacing small lid. Bulb should be collapsed to be effective. Pin bulb to clothing so the weight will not pull on the insertion site.
- Measure drainage and record amount each time you empty the bulbs. Hold container at eye level to read the numbers on the side of the container. Read the numbers in the “ml” column. Record amount of drainage on chart.
- Once a day clean insertion site with mixture of ˝ water and ˝ peroxide. Apply clean drain sponge daily around insertion site. Change more often if heavily soiled.
- Call the clinic when the drainage amount is less that 30ml for a 24 hour period x 1 or 2 days (this depends on your provider's preference). We will set up a nurse visit to have the drain(s) removed at that time. Please note that if you have more than one drain, they may not be ready to come out at the same time.
For Medical Questions, Please Call:
- (734) 998-6022, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- After hours and on weekends, call Hospital Paging at (734) 936-6267 and ask for the Plastic Surgeon on call.