ABOUT REED O. DINGMAN, M.D., D.D.S.
Reed O. Dingman, M.D., D.D.S. established the first Section of Plastic Surgery in the Department of Surgery at the University of Michigan in 1964. He served as Head of the Section for twelve years before retiring as Professor of Surgery Emeritus in 1976. He returned to head the section for two more years after the untimely death of William Grabb, M.D. in 1982.
Dr. Dingman received his D.D.S. degree and a Master of Science in Oral Surgery at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry, and his M.D. degree from the University of Michigan School of Medicine. He completed a residency in oral surgery at the University of Michigan and was certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in 1940. Dr. Dingman completed a surgical internship at Barnes Hospital, Washington University School of Medicine, and trained in Plastic Surgery under John W. Kemper and Ferris Smith. He was certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in 1949.
Dr. Dingman received numerous honors and awards throughout his career including honorary Doctor of Science from the University of Miami School of Medicine, Clinician of the Year and Honors Award W inner of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons, honorary Presidential Citation from the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, and Distinguished Alumni award from the University of Michigan.
Dr. Dingman was an innovator in the field of Plastic Surgery, developing new operations in maxillofacial and nasal surgery. He was a world renowned Visiting Professor, a member of numerous surgical societies, and contributed extensively to surgical literature. Dr. Dingman served as President of the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, President of the Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, President of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, and Chairman of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The Reed O. Dingman Lectureship was established in 1986 through a gift from Mrs. Thelma Dingman in memory of her husband. The purpose of the lectureship is to invite plastic and reconstructive surgeons of national or international repute to lecture at the University of Michigan on topics contributing to the art and science of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN SECTION OF PLASTIC SURGERY
The Section of Plastic Surgery at the University of Michigan was established in 1964 through the integration of a University-sanctioned Ann Arbor-based plastic surgery training program at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Reed O. Dingman, DDS MD, had established a certified plastic surgery training program which began as a preceptorship in 1952 and gained accreditation as a plastic surgery training program in June of 1957. The program integration was achieved through the efforts of Dr. Dingman and then Department Chairman, C. Gardner Child, with Dr. Dingman appointed Head of the Section of Plastic Surgery in 1964.
Following Dr. Dingman’s retirement in 1974, William C. Grabb, a trainee of Dr. Dingman and a member of the faculty of the Department of Surgery since 1961, agreed to succeed Dr. Dingman as the Section Head and to establish a full-time training and research faculty. The training program was expanded, a University based research effort was established and both reached national prominence prior to Dr. Grabb’s death in 1982. Interim faculty leadership continued until the appointment of David J. Smith as the Section Head in 1987. Dr. William Kuzon continued the tradition of outstanding leadership as section head from 2002 to 2012. Appointed in 2012, Dr. Paul Cederna is now leading University of Michigan Plastic Surgery to reach new levels of research, education and patient care.
DINGMAN SOCIETY PRESIDENTS
DINGMAN SOCIETY SECRETARY/TREASURERS
DINGMAN SOCIETY ADMINISTRATOR