Kevin Tri Nguyen, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Kevin Tri Nguyen, M.D., Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Department of Surgery, Division of Hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) and Advanced Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery. Dr. Nguyen received his Bachelor of Science degree from Duke University in 1996, and his medical and graduate degrees from Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University in 2003. He completed his post-graduate training in General Surgery at the University of Michigan in 2008 and his HPB surgery fellowship training at the University of Pittsburgh in 2010. Dr. Nguyen joined the faculty at the University of Michigan in July of 2010.
Dr. Nguyen's clinic interests are in diseases of the liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and bile duct with special emphasis on laparoscopic and da Vinci robotic surgery. He is a member of the Multi-Disciplinary Pancreatic Cancer and Liver Cancer Programs of the University of Michigan Cancer Center.
Dr. Nguyen's research interest involves investigating the mechanism of cancer invasion, migration, and metastasis to develop new therapeutic interventions.
- Nguyen KT, Zureikat AH, Barlett DL, Moser AJ, Zeh HJ 3rd. Technical Aspects of Robotic-Assisted Pancreaticoduodenectomy (RAPD). J Gastrointest Surg. 2011 May;15(5):870-5.
- Zureikat AH, Nguyen KT, Barlett DL, Zeh HJ 3rd, Moser AJ. Robotic-assisted major pancreatic resection and reconstruction Arch Surg. 2011 Mar;146(3):256-61.
- Nguyen KT, Marsh JW, Tsung A, Steel JJ, Gamblin TC, Geller DA. Comparative Benefits of Laparoscopic vs Open Hepatic Resection: A Critical Appraisal. Arch Surg. 2011 Mar;146(3):348-56.
- Nguyen KT, Kitisin K, Steel J, Jeyabalan G, Aggarwal S, Geller DA, Gamblin TC. Cirrhosis is not a contraindication to laparoscopic cholecystectomy: results and practical recommendations. HPB (Oxford). 2011 Mar;13(3):192-7.
- Nguyen KT, Geller DA. Outcomes of laparoscopic hepatic resection for colorectal cancer metastases. Seminars in Surgical Oncology for Journal of Surgical Oncology: "Biologic and Surgical Challenge of Colorectal Hepatic Metastases" J Surg Oncol. 2010 Dec 15;102(8):975-7.
- Nguyen KT, Geller DA. Laparoscopic Liver Resection - Current Update. Surg Clin North Am. 2010 Aug;90(4):749-760.
- Vanounou T, Steel J, Nguyen KT, Tsung A, Marsh JW, Geller DA, Gamblin TC. Comparing the clinical and economic impact of laparoscopic versus open liver resection. Ann Surg Oncology, 2010 Apr;17(4):998-1009.
- Nguyen KT, Gamblin TC, Geller DA. World review of laparoscopic liver resection - 2,804 patients. Annals of Surgery 2009; 250(5): 831-41.
- Nguyen KT, Laurent A, Dagher I, Geller DA, Steel J, Thomas MT, Marvin M, Ravindra KV, Mejia A, Cherqui D, Buell J, Gamblin TC. Minimally invasive liver resection for metastatic colorectal cancer: a multi-institutional, international report of safety, feasibility, and early outcomes. Annals of Surgery 2009; 250(5): 842-8.
- Nguyen KT, Steel J, Vanounou T, Tsung A, Marsh JW, Geller DA, Gamblin TC. Initial presentation and management of hilar and peripheral cholangiocarcinoma: Is a node-positive status or potential margin-positive result a contraindication to resection? Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Dec;16(12):3308-15.
- Nguyen KT, Geller DA. Is laparoscopic liver resection safe and comparable to open liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma? Annals of Surgical Oncology, May 2, 2009, 16(7): 1765-7.
- Nguyen KT, Gamblin TC, Geller DA. Laparoscopic liver resection for cancer. Future Oncol. 2008. 4(5): 661-670.
- Uttamsingh S (co-first author), Bao X (co-first author), Nguyen KT (co-first author), Bhanot M, Gong J, Chan JL, Liu F, Chu TT, Wang LH. Synergistic effect between EGF and TGF-beta1 in inducing oncogenic properties of intestinal epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2008. 27(18): 2626-2634.
- Nguyen KT, Zong CS, Sachdev P, Uttamsingh S, Chan JLK, Le MT, Bhanot M, Wang LH. The role of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, Rho family GTPases, and Stat3 in Ros-induced cell transformation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2002. 277(13): 11107-11115.
- Nguyen KT, Wang WJ, Chan JLK, Wang LH. Differential requirements of the MAP kinase and PI3 kinase signaling pathways in Src- versus insulin and IGF-1 receptors-induced growth and transformation of rat intestinal epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2000. 19(47): 5385-5397.